Contact David for all your property tax litigation as well as real estate management and investment issues.
David Wilkes is a globally-recognized leader in property taxation and related litigation. He also advises clients on major real estate investment and management decisions concerning the effects of transactions on taxes, and manages property taxes for major national portfolios.
David is the President and a Co-Founder of the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys, and served as Chairman of The Appraisal Foundation, the Congressionally-authorized source of U.S. appraisal standards. He is a Designated Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, where he served on its Governing Council based in London. He has been selected as the sole featured presenter to the NYS Supreme Court’s Appellate Division Judges and Court Attorneys on the subject of property tax law, and is the Co-Chair of the Westchester County Bar Association’s Tax Certiorari and Condemnation Committee.
As Senior Legal Advisor to governments in the Middle East and Eastern Europe, and an informal advisor in West Africa, he designed a variety of initiatives to reform taxation and promote economic stimulus through the real estate sector.
David is an author, editor, and photojournalist, serving as Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, and Contributing Editor for publications including Real Estate Review (NYU), the New York State Bar Association Journal, and the American Alpine Club, as well as Litigation News (ABA).
He is the co-founder and President of Roost Studios, Inc., an artists’ cooperative, and a Life Member of the Mohonk Preserve, where he sits on the Board’s Land Protection Committee.
David is a licensed airplane pilot, an American Sailing Association Certified Sailor, an avid trail runner, rock and ice climber and AMGA licensed rock climbing guide, and a licensed motorcycle racer.
Education & Honors
- New York University MS, Real Estate Valuation, Schack Real Estate Institute, Real Estate Valuation and Finance: 1999 – 2001
- Boston University School of Law Law:- 1989 – 1992
- The City University of New York BA, English Literature: 1986 – 1989
- National Association of Property Tax Attorneys President: 2005 – Present
- International Property Tax Institute Member Board Of Directors: 2005 – Present
- The Appraisal Foundation Chair Of The Board Of Directors: 2006 – 2016
- Westchester County Bar Association Chair, Tax Certiorari & Condemnation Committee: 2014 – Present