Contact Jay for all your tax certiorari, condemnation and eminent domain, or commercial real estate litigation issues.
Jay M. Herman has been practicing in the field of property valuation litigation for over forty-four years. A seasoned litigator, he has successfully handled complex trials and appeals involving a wide variety of property tax and condemnation issues.
He has been involved in equalization or “ratio” matters, as well as constitutional claims. Jay has represented clients before the Office of the Real Property Services on equalization and segment rate issues.
Jay worked as an assistant county attorney and deputy county attorney in the Office of the County Attorney of Nassau County, Tax Certiorari and Condemnation Bureau. He also was an assistant corporation counsel for the Law Department of the City of New York in the Tax Certiorari Department. Jay previously was a partner in several major Long Island law firms.
Jay frequently lectures on tax certiorari and condemnation issues to members of various Bar and Assessor Associations, as well as to business leaders, property tax managers and other property tax attorneys, consultants and appraisers. He has been asked to speak often before the Institute of Professional in Taxation (IPT), Appraisal Institutes (AI), and the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO).
He is a member of the Counselors of Real Estate, a by invitation organization of high profiled property professionals.
Jay has been AV-Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell, its highest rating.
Jay has been appointed to the Judiciary Screening Committee of the Suffolk County Bar Association and has been selected by the Long Island Business News as one of the top twenty-five lawyers in the region (Power 25 attorneys – 2021).
Education & Honors
- Hofstra University BA, magna cum laude: 1972
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law Juris Doctor: 1976
- Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester County, and New York State Bar Associations Tax Certiorari and Condemnation Law Committees
- Long Island Builder’s Institute, Long Island Real Estate Group, International Council of Shopping Centers Member
- Action Long Island Board of Directors; Member: ALI Steering Committee; Chair: ALI Small Business and Economic Development Task Force
- Appraisal Institute, Institute for Professionals in Taxation, National Association of Realtors, International Association of Assessing Officers Affiliate Member
- Nassau County Bar Association - Committee on Tax Certiorari and Condemnation Law Former Chairman and Vice Chairman
- Suffolk County Bar Association – Committee on Condemnation and Tax Certiorari Current Co-Chairman